Yarm became a thriving town in its own right during the Georgian period; historic and beautiful, Yarm-on-Tees nestles in a loop of the River Tees. Tradition is still at the heart of the town and the impressive 43 arch viaduct, which shadows one of the widest cobbled high streets in England, is now protected by conservation status.
Yarm provides a varied choice of chic shops, exclusive restaurants, a wide range of public houses with beer gardens. Superb bistro's, café's and tearooms, vibrant nightlife and all round olde worlde charm, so one cannot fail to be impressed.
The elegant Town Hall, dating from 1710 sits squarely in the centre of the High Street, with marks on the walls recording past river flood levels.
Wynds and quaint passageways run off the High Street down to the river, where one can stroll the lovely riverbanks.
Yarm is one of the borough's smallest towns, where the old and new stand proudly together, but what it lacks in size its more than makes up for in charm and tradition. Yarm Fair held in October every year is still one of the more important dates in the showmans calendar.
History of Yarm
Yarm is a small town and civil parish in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees in North East England. It is on the south bank of the River Tees and for ceremonial purposes is in North Yorkshire. The bridge at Yarm marked the last crossing point of tidal section of the River Tees until the Tees Barrage was built in Stockton.
The name of the town is thought to be derived from the Old Norse word yarum meaning an enclosure to catch fish. Yarm was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and was originally a chapelry in the Kirklevington parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire; it later became a parish in its own right.
Bishop Skirlaw of Durham built a stone bridge across the Tees in 1400 which still stands. An iron replacement was built in 1805, but it fell down in 1806. For many years Yarm was the head of the tide and of navigation on the Tees.
On 12 February 1821 at the George & Dragon Inn, the meeting was held that pressed for the third and successful attempt for a Bill to give permission to build the Stockton & Darlington Railway, the world's first public railway.
At one point Yarm was a classed as a borough; this status did not persist. It formed part of the Stokesley Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894 and remained so until 1 April 1974 when, under the Local Government Act 1972 it became part of the district of Stockton-on-Tees in the new non-metropolitan county of Cleveland. Cleveland was abolished in 1996 under the Banham Review, with Stockton-on-Tees becoming a unitary authority.